Sunday, January 12, 2014

Let's break down this wall!

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” 
― Maya Angelou

“No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader.” 
― Robert Frost

“You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.” 
― Ray BradburyZen in the Art of Writing

“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” 
― Anton Chekhov

“All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.” 
― Ernest Hemingway

“I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I'm afraid of. ” 
― Joss Whedon

“Write the kind of story you would like to read. People will give you all sorts of advice about writing, but if you are not writing something you like, no one else will like it either.” 
― Meg Cabot

“You always get more respect when you don't have a happy ending.” 
― Julia Quinn

“To remind me, pain is the best teacher” 
― Holly BlackWhite Cat



There. These inspired me. I hope they will inspire you too. I know somewhere these quotes, these authors have inspired someone. I could fill hundreds of posts on this blog with quotes that have inspired me. But I'll spare you that. I wanted to write about how stuck I am on my query letter but I felt I shouldn't start a blog with whining so instead I found these quotes in the hopes who ever reads them finds themselves motivated. I feel a bit better now.

I am stuck. Like there is a wall surrounding me. I'm afraid to step away from it. But I'm trying. The contest opens in two days. That isn't a lot of time to get things together. Of course it doesn't close until the 27th but I don't want to wait until the last minute. I have a good start. I just need to sit down and clear my mind from everything but this novel. So far its helped a bit. I have some new ideas that I just wrote up tonight. I just hope they sound okay when my fiance looks it over tomorrow.

I keep finding myself wanting to plan out my next novel. But I have managed to pull myself back. I write down the ideas and leave it at that so I can try and focus on my query letter and synopsis. I know I can do it. I guess I'm just afraid to spill all my thoughts down and it winding up sounding stupid. I love the story, don't get me wrong it's just so hard to cut away the meat of the novel and take it from 75k to 300 words. It isn't fun. It isn't supposed to be. But it has to sound good. I know in my heart this novel is good. Much better than anything else I've written. I just need to remember that when I sit down and write my query letter.

I'm sure I'll be fine. That I'll get it written and hopefully catch an agent's eye. That's be nice. For now I'm going take a break from this blog to focus on writing my query letter. I may update randomly but for now I have to stop using this an excuse so I can write.


Thank you for reading.





0 comments:

Post a Comment